View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Re: I can't Take It Anymore! I CANNOT RELAX!

Quote:
Andrew Mendes wrote:
I
I can't win!
Andrew,
While I feel your frustration I have to point out the above attitude might be part of the problem. Attempting to win generally increases tension. You might be thinking to yourself that I am only picking on a few words in your post that don't really reflect who you are. Which may be true, but more likely than not these few words bubbled up through your sub-conscious and express a real feeling.

My suggestion is to focus solely on your breathing while working technique. Inhale and exhale very slowly and in rythm with your motion, i.e. you should likewise be moving very slowly. Any time you feel tense or your partner feels your tension you are moving too fast! If you do this properly you won't be able to think about winning or doing the perfect technique, you will simply be breathing and your body will be moving.

This won't work as well for brand new students since they don't know the techniques but since you have been training for awhile you should be letting go of the technique and focusing inward.

Take care,

Mark J.