Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: 061) Confronting Our Fears: Week of November 15, 2009

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Hi Marc,

Sounds like it was a very interesting seminar at Howard's - I am sorry I missed it, but I was out of town on vacation.

Anyway, interesting comments on the fear points. I understand that we all have subconscious reflexive actions associated with attacks, but I never thought of them as being fears. To me fears are conscious and therefore should be controllable with some form of mental effort, etc. Curious as to how that was presented,

Greg
Greg:

It is impossible to create the kind of distinction between conscious thought of fear and fear itself. Your body actually responds to fear (pre-conscious) before you actually are aware of the thoughts and feelings associated with fear. We did an interesting exercise this weekend where you could feel fear at a muscular level. This response would trigger regardless of whether we were aware of that sensation and/or tried not to "react" to that sensation.

There are whole areas of therapy/psychiatry/... related to this area. Links back to an evolutionary, survival response set that predated the development of conscious thought in a species.

Marc Abrams