Thread: soft style?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 11:53 AM   #35
Hanna B
Sweden
Quote:
Peter Klein wrote:
just wanted to know if the style I am doing has got a negative image of any kind.
In some people's minds, well yes. Ask Szcepan (he's here at Aikiweb also, isn't he?)...

Now, I am not stricly speaking doing Tissier style. So if the Tissier students out there do not like what I am saying, please voice your objections.

What you should understand with this type of practise is that when tori does technique, uke's task is to find advantageous positions from which you could make another good and strong attack - not mainly to resist the technique. Depending on the dojo people will resist on various levels or not but from a "the technique should work no matter what"-perspective, this way of leading uke to more or less change places with you before starting the katatedori ikkyo makes no sense. Perfectly no sense at all. It is kata - a set form for practise. If the other person does not do his part of the kata, how can you practise yours?

The "if you can do the technique no matter how much I resist, then you do it well"-school is another paradigm, I think. In my mind, both have their set of values and another set of dangers. Each style, each pedagogic method have their own "habits" which students risk adapting.

It is difficult to practise form belonging to one paradigm for a person whose mind is in another. That's why you'll have some people's rants all over the place.