View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #111
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Ki-Aikido or Taiji - effectiveness in developing Qi?

Just a thought. I know a few guys who went to a multi-martial art seminar with a guy who did combat ki. If you do not know what this is, basically he takes shots in the nuts, throat, body, legs, etc without any noticeable injury. He had tons of people come up and hit him, my friends included. Also at this seminar was a bjj instructor. After the combat ki guy did his thing, it was now the bjj instructor's turn. He did his thing and asked if anyone would like to spar to feel how bjj feels in an alive context. The combat ki guy answered. Now for this part I have to describe the combat ki guy. He was a large man of about 200+ at least who looked menancing. He was paired up with a guy we call the shark, who is about 5'8" or 5'9" and fights at 145 pounds. The shark tapped him out quickly in a few seconds with a knee on belly (Btw, this is not a submission, but a position used to setup submissions).

So in essence, we have a man, who is considered very good at his art in mid/upper dan levels, unable to perform the same feats he was able to do in a controlled environment in side an uncontrolled environment. This is similar to what my aikido instructor told me about these guys. That they are vulnerable once you move them, because they never train to perform their skills while moving. For him (my aikido instructor) its not about being able to demo an unbendable arm, its about having an unbendable arm in everything you do, even if he just walks up behind you while your getting a drink and tries to snatch up your arm.

So for me, it is cool to see a demo that some guy can do something like this, but until I get to spar one of them, I can't see how it will help me at all. What is going to make me better, spending less time training basic martial technique to hopefully be able to have internal strength in 20 years, or spend more time working my basic fundamental techniques and gain measurable martial skill with results I can quickly measure, do not require hunting to the ends of the earth for a teacher who can explain, and have an easy means of testing in semi realistic combat?

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein