View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States
Re: A simple mechanical model of body use.

Chris, your artistry is far better than mine, so I assume you don't mind that I modified your drawing.

I focused on the first drawing because it follows into how I would actually use the "alignment" shown in the second one instead of passively letting the load through the body.

In the first model of my diagram, which I refer to as the normal/external model, the person uses the shoulder and maybe some bicep/forearm muscle to deal with the load. If they are more skilled, they can recruit the muscles of the back to support it as well. They are unable to access the ground through structure as the lever arm/combined with the weight would "pull" them towards the weight. This may result in some tension as they shift away or "pull away" from the weight to compensate for the load.

In the second model, which I dubbed the internal model, which is a VERY simplified model, something significantly different is going on. The red path is still there, but there is an additional blue path. This blue path is a couple of things integrated together which I shall go over, but it is important to note that the blue path becomes the red path (it would be easier to show sideways) and the red path becomes the blue path.

Also, since I annotated it quickly, I only really showed the paths in the upper portion of the body, though this simplifies things too.

Inside/front generally refers to the underside of the arms, inside of the legs, the front of the torso. Outside/back/ generally refers to the backside of the body tops of the arm with the biceps, shoulders, outside of the quads etc. This is just a general not specific reference to a hard ruleset as we are talking about a very simplified model.

The red path is much the same, where the weight is delivered down the back, though into the ground and sort of pulls away from the weight. The blue path however can be considered the red path reflecting off the ground and coming up coupled with several other things. They mix together and augment one another.

The blue path is also supporting from underneath. The easiest/initial way to think of this is extending/stretching outwards. One should be able to feel the triceps, the area under the armpit etc, stretch outwards (its easier to feel with muscles at first and switch to suit later on). This path/stretch goes out towards the load, rather than away from it. This path (though not discussing how to actually do it) is what causes the load to be held from underneath, rather than on top. It is part of what allows you to integrate the weight into you. This is some of what Phi was indirectly referring to in the other thread. If you work on this you will find you take the shoulders out of a lot of things and start recruiting more of the front side. You then learn there are only really certain ways you can move to maintain that blue/inside/front path.

When you use this blue path to support the weight, in conjunction with the red one, now you can access your structure/alignment whereas it would be far more difficult to do with the red one alone. This is not a requirement, though, you could use the suit to transmit the loads, without relying on any particular skeletal structure or alignment. You could then consider this to be part of "blue" path as well.

For most people the red path in terms of support for a load, is highly developed, but the blue path (forget about it being a ground path, I'm referring to the stretching/suit/integration components) is not thus it completely overpowers the blue, or a person is unaware of any of the blue type paths. The red and blue work in concert, one does not overpower the other.

Note: I'm not referring to the middle/hips etc as this is a very very simplified model.