View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #36
Aran Bright
Dojo: Griffith Aikido Yuishinkai
Australia
Re: Criss Angel and Koichi Tohei

I think all of these tricks or ki tests or whatever you want to call them are pretty neat. My favourite is when you cut the banana with ki and then peel it and the banana comes out split!

Okay i made that one up but the value in these exercises is learning to work with your body in different ways than just push as hard a possible.

I attended a seminar with one Maruyama sensei who was at one time el presidente of ki soc. He has little to no real strength at age seventy and he seems to have no problem throwing anyone including guys at 120 kg (about 200 pound)

There is one staple technique of relaxation that we use as a beginners way to learn kokyunage. You get someone to stand with the arm extended in front of there body and ask them to position themselves in any way they like to be strong. The object of the exercise is to cut through there arm using as little strength as possible. When sensei did it to me it wasn't like a ten tonne brick hit me, it was just like my arm when limp and collapsed.

Whatever happened I don't know but something did.

http://brisbaneaikido.com

Brisbane Aikido Republic
Brisbane
Australia