View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Steven Tame
Dojo: Hombu Aikikai /North London Aikido Dojo
Suwari waza / Shikko help

Hi guys... recently I've been practicing a lot of suwari-waza due to the fact that my ni-kyu test is coming up very soon (this weekend to be precise)

Anyway I'm finding making tenkan in shikko quite difficult (for example ikkyo,nikyo,sankyo yonkyo and hanmi-handachi shiho nage.)

What I seem to end up doing is kind of pivoting on one knee and although the technique looks smooth and sensei hasn't said anything about it being wrong I'm sure some small detail of it is wrong cos it is really painful on the hard tatami.

I remember reading somewhere to change to a one knee-one foot-stance but I can't visualise how it works seems like I'd be twisting my ankle.

If someone could explain how to move for one of the above techniques it would be really helpful. I'll be able to try it out at home.

Another problem I have been having is sometimes uke doesn't end up in the intended place and I kind of have to shuffle forward slightly which looks really scrappy. How can I prevent this happening (ura waza only)

Looks like I need to invest in some knee pads anyway at least until I can change my bad habits.