View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #27
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Ellis' post about cover-up and Ueshiba

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Discounting the spiritual side, can you elaborate on why you believe Takeda and Daito ryu are only a major factor? Was there another martial art that was a major factor in Ueshiba's training?
I'm not Peter, but I'll throw in my 2 cents on this particular question. There is another major factor that has to do with how things are trained and it's equally critical. In fact, if you'll think back to some of my posts in the last year or so, you'll see that I've cautioned several times about how things are trained in Aikido and how not all training methods are the same... that has to do with some of the training which I would suggest would more probably have come from some relationship within Omoto-kyo. I see some interesting "aiki" in what Horikawa does/did, but I also see somethings that appear to me to be quite different from what Ueshiba did. It may not be apparent to someone without a lot of experience, though. The point, though, is that there are differences and if there are differences, discussions about "a major factor" and "the major factor" are pretty relevant.

FWIW

Mike Sigman