Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
That's simply not true.
Cite______________________________________
I'm at work so I don't have the references to hand, they are at home. But, there is the account of Ueshiba's friend from back home who said that he wasn't so special when it was just Daito Ryu, it was the Oomoto Kyo that changed him. Also Ueshiba's former judo teacher once told Tohei that it was after Oomoto Kyo that he became powerful. This doesn't necessarliy mean however that the essesnce of his skill did NOT come from Takeda, only that it was the Oomoto Kyo that (for want of a better word) awakened it.

Like I said there isn't great evidence either way. I think your giulty of choosing to interpret it in a way that suits you best rather than interpreting it fairly. I am quite willing to explore either (or both) possibility, which is the answer to this question:

Quote:
If I may, why are talking to me?
Have you decided that I -do- have something to say or contribute about Aikido after all? Or did my natural charm and wit win you over?
Exploring these things with you, despite your choice to behave in an abrasive and haughty manner is of interest.

Quote:
In the end the Daito ryu method, once you get past, and dump the wrist grabs, works rather well.
Dumping the wrist grabs may suit what you wish to achieve but not me. I suspect that your definitition of 'effective' (could you please supply us with it as it seems crucial to your arguments?) is not the same as mine. I personally find these of great interest. I would however not be stupid enough to offer my wrist to an attacker in a UFC style situation unless I was planning something rather sneaky.

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr