View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 09:51 AM   #31
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Sascha Witt
Eric: I think you did understand me. From my (limited) understanding of aikido if you try and counter intend rather than action you would no longer use "real" aikido. From what I've been taught (or at least from my understanding of what I have been taught) uke or any opponent must be lured in and be fully comitted before you make your move. If you move too early your opponent (especially one trained in another art) can pull or redirect his attack or use it as a feint for a followup strike or whatever and you have nothing (except possibly a bloody nose).

So I think (and I'm hardly an authority here) you have to wait until the attacker goes beyond the point of no return, which generally is just a split second before he hits.

At this point in time I cannot do it either (but I can BS about it ) except sometimes in a very controlled environment when I know exactly what is coming. But I hope someday I will be able to do so "instinctively".
Sascha, this is how I was taught but I find myself questioning this particular practice for a lot of reasons these days. If you can control the distance, if you can control the timing adjusting for speed, if you can control the circumstances, if you can control your bodies reaction to stress or if you have a significant skill differentiation this sort of thing becomes more possible. So, while I might not agree with your terminology/explanation I can accept the concept in principle I'm just not certain about execution outside of controlled circumstances. Personally, in a non-structured enviroment with dynamically changing distances (or if I can't control the distance--back against a wall or between parked cars) and angles I find controlling center, closing, atemi (as distraction) and the like much more Erik friendly.

Plus, if it takes decades (and at least in my case that's going to be required) I'm not sure it should qualify as working in a MA context. On the other hand, there may be some personal failing or teaching I've not seen, and so I've failed to grasp an essential part of aiki. In other words, my Aikido is incomplete and doesn't work.

I guess I would say that while I think the concept isn't meritless as such, by itself, I'm not convinced it's anywhere near enough, or, even close to enough.

Last edited by Erik : 04-05-2002 at 10:03 AM.