View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #22
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Budo vs Martial Art ?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Don Wrote:

The fact that the US Army has adopted it as the base of our combatives program should demonstrate a little I suppose as to the effectiveness of it as something other than sport.

I don't know to much about the koryu stuff and all, but can't say at the base level that I see any difference between this and any other art that I have studied. cept we don't tend to bow and meditate much.

I do think these things to be important.

Interesting is to check out Helio Gracie's book, it is pretty much basic jujitsu techniques that are common to all jujitsu systems. Not much on ground fighting, more on self defense, wrist locks,and arm bars etc from the standing position.
What is funny is that when I bring up the fact the army has adapted bjj, I am met with this statement (by the people who claim their art was designed for a battlefield and thus relevant no less), "Well they just do it to teach teamwork and build confidence, they don't really expect them to use it on a battlefield."

See battlefield art is a only good when it's your art that is a battlefield art. If it's someone else art, you just say, "Well on a battlefield you have weapons and friends, so you don't fight hand to hand."

I think the main thing that is different from jj and bjj is that bjj is constantly evolving. Some of the old world gracie guys do not want to see this. In fact Helio hates this. But there are tons of new guys in the world innovating, changing, and improving bjj. We see wrestling moves being brought in, judo throws getting integrated more (even if they were there in the beginning, a lot has changed in judo from Helio's day). We even see guys focusing on how to change and improve bjj to keep up with MMA competitions where guys are training exclusively in how to escape from a grappler and stand up. It is really an exciting time for bjj.

I feel that from what I've experienced from Japanese culture, they look down on this sort of thing. In fact, I get the feeling if it was possible, they would make every single person in japan a clone of the perfect Japanese man. To them being taller, shorter, left handed, opinionated, etc is a bad thing. I'm sure people looked down on guys like Ueshiba and Kano for daring to change the way it was done.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein