View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #244
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: Knife Randori Videos

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Thanks Joseph...if I may distill your statement a bit...

You feel that positionally and tactically the movements are sound...but the weakness is that changes in timing and irregular beats would be the next level of sophistication to master?

Thanks,
Ron (always trying to learn new things)
Ron,

Yes...there is always a greater level to master. Unfortunately, too many people get caught up in the "limitations" of the style, the form, the concept and the teacher.

For instance, a kata is only one series of movements. It is only a dot on the spiral of a spectrum. (I say spiral because a straight line presumes a right way and wrong way of doing things. I say spiral because there is a beginning and an end, a new beginning and a probable new ending.)

In David's movements if you used a clock to time them, they would be the same in terms of the beat and monotone. They are predictable in terms of the clock.

If you analyze his hand techniques they are the same in terms of their large circles. In other words, he should spiral from large to smaller, to miniscule and back to larger and than to expansive. When he does this he will be able to blend to fast or slow or medium punches. He thus has a mechanism to adjust.

His next step then should be to go from large muscles to twitch muscles. In this way, the timing can be further managed, controlled and manipulated.

Nonetheless, he is definitely on the right track. He is going from prescribed form to "blending, grasping and manipulating" any variable as it changes. And you are correct in seeing it.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola