View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 12:00 PM   #101
ikkainogakusei
Re: can't get there from here

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
No. It just doesn't make sense. I think the phrase is "a zest for life." Corrupted zest may become lust.
I'm going to reply, but we should continue this on another thread. I'll start one in the 'open discussions'area.

In doing a search on 'lust for life' in google, I found 871,000 references. Dictionary.com actually uses 'lust for life' in it's definition (2b) of lust. Though zest and lust are synonamous, there are only 144,000 references on Google; and the on-line dictionary references I know of do not use zest for life as material to define the word zest.

Though you find that the term 'lust for life' does not make sense, it is more established to the rest of the (english speaking) world as the dominant aphorism, rather than 'zest for life'.

As zest and lust are referred to as synonyms in the thesaurus, it might be important to look at other synonyms. Under lust you may find hope, zeal, zest, energy, enterprise, spirit, avidity and other words which have less sexual connotations.
Quote:
The wise know the difference. The ignorant don't.
Ah yes, it must be grand to be wise. I have never known a person to have truly arrived at the final and highest state of sagacity, it must be truly wonderful.

And yes, your last statement is very telling. Great wisdom coming from great acuminate head.

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt