View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #50
statisticool
United_States
Re: Ki, Aiki, Aikido. The 'internal stuff' that never left Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote: View Post
Well, my point was that there is a lot of exaggerated fantasical language being used to describe this stuff, and I doubt it's helping anyone understand it, or enhance persuasion or credibility with anyone who is skeptical. When pressed, what was blithely described as "unbendable arm", "not a trick", and requiring "no tension at all" has been revealed to be a moderately bend-resistant arm in which the mechanics of the demo prevent more than a marginal bending force to be applied to it, requiring a low to moderate amount of muscular tension to do properly, the purpose of which has little or nothing to do with actual arm bendability.
I found http://ofinterest.net:16080/Ua/ to be quite useful at times.

I think the same things when I hear of the common ones in the Chinese traditions, like so and so in Chen Village or wherever supposeldy touching someone lightly and sending their opponents' feet touching the ceiling, etc. It is like peoples' critical thinking heads out the window when it comes to martial arts, and physics and common sense doesn't apply, and all stories are accepted.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."