View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: YouTube: Christian Tissier at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
And yet you publish photos of the absolutely beautiful work you do on edged weapons. Those photos speak of precision of execution and painstaking attention to detail. I would be surprised if your Aikido did not reflect those same qualities. And how could something like that be unpleasant to see?

Ron
Well, one person's precise and detailed is another's robotic and dead. We all value different things and strive for different things, and put various things we value in a different order of priority. So he's right, it's basically inevitable that any video demo that one person sees as an ideal will be seen by at least one other person as a perfect example of what not to do (I have never yet seen a counterexample to this) or even as 'what's wrong with a lot of aikido today'. I have no idea if there's any solution to that, as just praising everything you see or never talking about things you don't like would probably be even worse.

But it does mean that it's a rare person who will post videos. The other reason is that in most cases it makes more sense to seek comments from people whose aikido you specifically admire or wish to emulate, rather than from people you've never even trained with and who for all you know are trying to do something different than you are anyway.