View Single Post
Old 10-11-2001, 10:35 AM   #8
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Hmmm Interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR
Expanding on this just slightly just in case someone chooses to read this wrong.

It is very easy to shut down a technique you know is coming. Static resistance during the performance of paired practice has its place but generally its use is misunderstood. It is done not to shut down the techniques but to understand body mechanics.
On most occasions when I have ukes lock down with their grip this is what they are trying to do -- teach me the mechanics. But there are the rare one or two ukes that lock down on me not to teach me but to show me I can't do it to them. There is only one guy I now of that has done this to me, but he seems to come to class about once every three months. He is 4th kyu and has been "ready" to test for 3rd kyu since I started aikido a year and a half ago. Now that I'm farther along I usually can overcome this display of ego. And now that I'm farther along, I use this as an opportunity to deal with a "difficult" person. Earlier, I would just not train with him.

But how do I tell the difference? It's demeanor and experience really. Most of the folks who "lock down" on me are higher ranking (high kyu/dan ranks), and I have been training with them for a while. They know me, and I know them. They know I have a good idea how to do a technique, and now that I'm 4th kyu, they sincerely help me learn the subtlties of the technique by reversing on me or locking up. I also know that they are helping me and that they have no ego out there to "prove" I can't do the technique to them. They show me I can't, but they also show me how I can. They are being excellent sempai. Those who just lock down with malice could care less about showing you how to do the technique to them. They just want to show you that you can't.

Despite all this I really believe that we are talking about the rare person here. But how do we deal with it? I'm not a teacher so I can't how to deal with a student, but I can tell you how to deal with it as training partner. First, these folks are our lessons of learning to dealing with difficult people. Just keep training, you will learn the skills necessary from other helpful people to overcome them. Second, sometimes these situations can turn bad, i.e. tempers start to rise on both sides (I have had this experience-same guy). If they do, bow out of training with the uke. Third, assert yourself. If the uke apparently won't help you by his own assertion, use your own words and ask them how to do it to them. Be careful here and make sure you use words right. Avoid being accusatory. Fourth, if it gets too bad tell a senior or the sensei. Let them deal with the guy (or gal)for you.

Anne Marie