View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #191
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido as Sport: Did O'Sensei Condemn It?

Quote:
Chris Walker wrote: View Post
Hi Tony, hope you are well mate.

I would agree with you regarding the adrenalin rush you can experience when competing in sports and the obvious benefits of learning to control the effects and work with them in a positive way. Being exposed to adrenalin is in no way exclusive to sports or competition. Having a meeting with your boss, visiting the dentist, bungee jumping, singing at a karaoke bar sober (it still haunts me ), pressure testing or grading in Aikido can all create the same adrenalin and its effects on the body and mind.

Where I would differ slightly, is that all the above create a slow release of adrenaline over a period of time for example the run up to your competition or bungee jump etc. Although the effects on the body/mind can be unsettling it does not come close to the massive adrenaline dump that you experience when you are being assaulted or are about to be attacked. The effects on the body can be quite devastating and triggers the Fight/Flight or if really unlucky Freeze syndrome. It's a completely different feeling to the one experienced when competing in sports in my opinion.

I was also surprised to read that in your opinion it is easier to survive/win a physical assault on the street than it is to win a sport's contest. We have very different views on this and I could not disagree more with what you are saying. However, I do respect that your own personnel experiences have drawn you to this conclusion its just that mine tell me the very opposite is true.

Cheers .
Actually Chris I have experienced the big dump you describe, and that has been on many an occasion, where I have had to face assault in my job...... Over the last 23 years I have been assaulted 18 times by people that were either high on alcohol or drugs or both. It it is not pretty I can assure you of that!! I have won through on "spirit" alone and have managed to conduct myself in a gentlemanly way, with only one incident where a dislocated shoulder had became apparent, due to their stupid reaction, the alcohol he had imbibed and that he didn't know that it was!
I was arrested and charged with assault. The outcome in court was that I acted within the law and was cleared of any malicious wrong doing. On all other occasions it was restraint and the fact that I was able to "dump" them on their rear ends or fronts, which usually sufficed because of winding and the need to "fight" was taken away by harsh pinning..... I am convinced that this was made possible through my training in competition and regular randori/shiai training, which is the norm in T/S aikido..... And the earlier judo training I have some experience in....
He on the other hand had to pay the court costs and the discomfort of
his wrong doing....
I do not "look" for trouble. It has a habit of finding me and is one of the drawbacks of the profession I'm in, which happens is very vulnerable to these kind of incidents.....
I might add that I have not always got away completely unscathed and have had to endure some bruising and cuts on half of those occasions......

I am well. but getting wiser..... thanks, hope you are to.......

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 01-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.