View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
da2el.ni4na
United_States
Re: like beauty, the stupidity of a question

Hi Mark,
It sounds like you're of the "let them alone" view, which I can certainly agree with, especially since
I'm currently studying psychotherapy.

[quote] Calmly and with as little emotion, provide them with supporting statements to your side.
With the above quote, you seem to concede that it is good to reach out and communicate with someone in that original hypothetical situation. Although any human being cannot receive information absolutely neutrally, when you wrote "open and neutral" I'm guessing that you're trying to say one should communicate without intending to persuade or dissuade. (However, I feel with the two quotes I'm mentioning here, I'm getting from you two contradicting viewpoints.)

Concretely speaking, and to use some counseling ideas, I think in a dojo "modeling" and behavioral directives are probably central, at least traditionally. If someone doesn't bow, clean, they come in to attack wildly or attempt techniques to hastily, I think (and hope) that most teachers and senior students would engage those people somehow. Many people would pick up on the modeling, especially if enough people were doing so that it was an evident part of the dojo culture, but sometimes they do not. I'm sure we would typically see this regarding cleaning, specifically, and mor generally, when the person saw other, different models. For example, you could model for your children how to keep the house tidy, but they might be more inclined to accept the model of their messy teenager sibling.
In any case, my point is, let's say you feel it would actually be good, highly desirable, or even necessary that someone accept a view or at least behavior that they do not seem to be doing on their own. My originaly question was meant to include such situations (although I left it open because of course the process of seeing people's interpretations is part of the discussion.)