Thread: Popping Joints?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 03:26 PM   #6
Kat.C
Re: Popping Joints?

Quote:
Originally posted by Arianah
Hello all
I have a problem with popping/grinding joints. Especially when I'm doing bokken cuts, and even when striking or punching, I find that my elbows and shoulders will grind, and it is quite painful. I have seen many posts concerning popping joints, and often the assertion is that this will go away given time. Over what period of time do you think this would be, and is there anything that I can do to speed up the process? I stretch my shoulders (which are the biggest problem of the two joints) daily, and lift weights to strengthen them, but this hasn't helped. Any advice would be appreciated . . .
Sarah
Hello, I had this problem before I started aikido. My right shoulder was grinding/popping and had been for quite some time. It got progressively worse and finally went to the Doctor again. He had previously dismissed my pain as a pulled muscle. X-rays ruled out problems with the bones so he figured it has something to do with my ligaments. He told me to stop doing weights and I did about a month and a half ago and I haven't had any problems since. Funny thing is I had only just started working with weights a few months previously and my pain had been going on for much longer that that.
But giving up the weights worked, you might want to try that, but definitely see a doctor.

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.