View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido, Rickson Gracie and Connection

Fascinating.
Quote:
Mark Hance wrote: View Post
... My question is does this sound like a similar principal to "connection" (both to your own centre and to opponrent's) as that of aikido (there was another post I read where a participant who rolled with Rickson likened it more to internal martial arts and to ideas O Sensei espoused)? and can Aikido practice help develop this sensitivity?...
That sounds reasonable, but bear in mind that he's talking about connection regarding physical struggle against an opponent in close contact and while his connection ideas are probably applicable to some Aikido practice, most (probably) 'connection' ideas espoused from aikido practitioners might not be applicable the other way around.
I'm kinda saying Rickson's connection training is NOT likely to be the same as 90% of connection training espoused by aikidoka, in my opinion. However I'm absolutely sure it is useful to all aikidoka in some way, just as having a high level of Judo skills would be, with a side-effect of at least some level of 'connection' above the ordinary.