View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 05:01 PM   #23
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Less Strict Dojos

Instructor awareness of any health problems is imperative. Peter's point of pushing students is necessary to help students press their limits and advance; however, not to the risk of one's health.

I had one student who was diabetic and I was not aware of it. His exercise on the mat exacerbated his diabetes and one night he seemed distracted or confused. One of my students grabbed me and made me aware of his condition deteriorating and his diabetes. Unfortunately, it was not early enough to offset a call to the paramedics since he basically started going into a severe reaction. He ended up having to quit aikido.

In Texas, it is very hot, especially where I am. I have standing orders for people to get water and take a break if they feel a need to. Sometimes it gets over a 100 degrees in the dojo and heat exhaustion is a risk. However, I don't expect students to run off the mat every 5 minutes. We also try to take a water break at the end of one hour for 5 minutes to ensure no one gets sick. I also always try to accomodate health problems in any way I can. Having knee problems myself, I understand the limitations problems can place on students. Common sense is the key to preventing a serious problem.