View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #36
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
As I said I think Kisshomaru Sensei was primarily an academic and an historian. I don't think Kisshomaru Sensei had charisma in the normal sense but he was a sincere likeable man and he generated fierce loyalty and goodwill. Was that loyalty solely because of his father or because of his own efforts and sense of duty? And how much of that loyalty and goodwill was inherited by his son the present Doshu (and how much will be inherited by his grandson)?
Hello Niall,

I plan to begin discussing Kisshomaru Doshu's contribution to aikido from TIE Column 27 onwards. Before that I want to tie up a few more loose ends with O Sensei and attempt to relate him more closely to the intellectual and political currents swirling around Japan from around 1918 to 1945.

I think it is very important to be aware of the fact that all three Ueshibas mentioned, Morihei, Kisshomaru and Moriteru, grew into their roles, which apart from being Doshu--and an iemoto of sorts, contained no built-in storyline.

As for loyalty, I think it was both: from being members of the Ueshiba family, and also from being Kisshomaru and Moriteru. It is quite intriguing--and interesting, to see how differently the two interpret the role of being Doshu.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury