View Single Post
Old 04-04-2002, 03:50 PM   #24
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
btw, I absolutely know your point about "hit and run" tactics. I think it's better explained this way.

In many MA, it's 'every strike is meant to kill' because they are taken from life and death times. However, in your average confrontation today you'll see more of the 'let's knock this guy/girl around the head a few times to gain an advantage so I can proceed to whomp them at my leisure without getting hurt myself'. So it's not the same ultra commited attacks that we see in Aikido and MA sparring. What do y'all do about someone that just doesn't come flying in, but uses feints, jabs, combinations, drunken boxing? If you say, "Use mai-ai and whatnot to get them to commit", nah, I'll just use the standard knife fighting technique of not trying to kill you but cutting you to pieces and breaking you down.

I know that all this has been debated to death on this board and I don't want to start that over here. This is more of a rhetoric meant to spark your own thinking, not to debate.

Have someone try to use more of a stalking technique on you (like boxing) in the dojo rather than standard karate attacks.

This isn't to prove that "your Aikido doesn't work" (lol) but Aikido has to deal with every dynamic, so try to practice against those dynamics.