View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #31
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Ueshiba Sensei studied Chinese arts?

Mike;

You asked.

Quote:
I would be interested to hear the name of one Japanese martial art uninfluenced by Chinese martial arts.
I gave a pretty clear answer.

and you responded with

Quote:
presenting me with a traditional or popular Japanese art that is not influenced by China
Do I dare respond and have the goal posts moved again not to mention subject myself to feeble insults. Not cognoscenti indeed. Can you perhaps try to carry on a conversation without hiding behind them.

I wont argue against the huge influence China has had on Japanese culture but it wasn't wholesale, waxed and waned, and went off on some pretty unique tangents. At what point does it stop being Chinese and become Japanese - you seem to be saying never.

Jukendo is based on French bayonet manuals which the Japanese took and made particularily Japanese like they tend to do. They didn't copy the art from China. Jodo, was apparently invented by a Japanese, not imported. Chuck's point on Aikido was that it was derived from Daito Ryu which, if there was a Chinese influence on the latter, it goes back far enough to have had plenty of time to be morphed into a Japanese thing.

I guess the question is how minor an influence, how far back in time is worth commenting on.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
http://www.furyu.com/onlinearticles/Jukendo1.html

I know it won't mean much to you, Peter, but I'm just throwing it in for the cognoscenti to look at. Regardless, instead of your attempt to muddy the issue, consider presenting me with a traditional or popular Japanese art that is not influenced by China.

Mike Sigman

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido