View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #41
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: Defending against Aikido

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
Hence I've hit something of a crisis in my own training. I mean there's part of me that thinks I'm talking nonsence, but I don't know. I watch tori performing a technique on me and I see holes that I can exploit and when I'm taking ukemi it just feels like I'm faking it all and that if I got bored half way though the technique I could just walk off.
Alex,

that seems to be a common fase in training around the two-year mark, at least IME. One of the reasons you start to see the holes in tori's technique is that the cooperative training develops your sensitivity to what your partner is doing. You need the same sort of sensitivity to feel what uke is doing, so that eventually when uke starts to resist or go in an unexpected direction you are able to go with them and use the new situation to your advantage. It really can be done.

What you could do, to train yourself, is to not take your own balance, but also not resist. Move with the technique, allow it to happen, but keep as much in balance as you can while keeping moving. Take note of openings of your partner but don't make use of them.

You could also ask one of your seniors to train freely sometime with you, so that you have "permission" to try and escape, get your balance back, try all the tricks you can think of. I find this wonderfully calming when I start to doubt my training...

kvaak
Pauliina