View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
DH
United_States
Re: Aiki and Kokyu Ryoku

Ueshiba Morihei continuously spoke of well known and recognized principles of internal power (among which is breath power) to make aiki. In one of his passages he states:
"In this thing called Aiki, first describe (draw) a circle. Drawing a circle is, in other words, opposing powers. With touching with even one finger your opponent will be sent flying."
I am working on a project of my own exploring what he actually said and the relation of what he said to well established internal training in Daito ryu Koryu, India and China.

Ueshiba's continuos discussion of in yo; both explicitly and metaphorically, and his use of identical and previously documented language define him as an internal strength advocate. He directly quotes from Chinese sources. Any attempts to make his power unique and original will end up like the myth making undertaken by the aikikai, it will ultimately fail. The things he quoted are too well known and easily recognized by educated budo-ka. Trying to argue them away or make them go away or redefine it so people in the art can say what ever they want it to mean will simply not survive diligent scrutiny.

While I understand the tendency to vet opinions and views through rank and affiliation, I remain unmoved, figuratively and literally, by how long someone has been in an art as any indicator of his skill and real understanding. There is no consistency I have found to lend that argument credibility. Shodan to 9th dan- your understanding is in your own hand, not in where you went or who you know. While I remain mindful that aikido is more than internal strength and aiki, I am also aware that without internal strength and aiki and what that entails, people are simply not doing Aikido, the way of aiki. They are doing jujutsu. Which apparently was O sensei's view as well. He was clear in stating that people cannot do what he does because they do not understand in yo, he has in many places defined his understanding of in yo ho it was the union of opposites.... in yourself.
Aiki in me/ before aiki between thee and me.
Dan