View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Not being challenged as Uke?

Not sure on the situation, too may variables

* Purpose: a lock is not a break utilizing leverage. a lock is aimed at controlling the other person for a short duration.
* Knowledge & experiance of Uke: a beginner is often given more lee-way in order not to hurt him
* Knowledge & experiance of Tori: Does he really know how to correctly perfrom the technique in given situaiton and speed, with safety?

At lease where I train, people may talk and ask, so, tell your momentery partner you do not feel any preason to tap, and listen to his response.

Example, after praticing for quite a few years ( >20) in several techniques I know I reached the leverage point, with or without tapping. I then adjust my technique to the spirit of current practice is implied by Sensei, and to my Uke.
In some specific techniques, such as Hiji-Jime, I often prefer to apply the lock in in such a way, that Uke bending down, would alsmot remove the pressure on his elbow. And I reduce own height very slowly, and then stop. If Uke asks about the lock, I ask him/her to try and get up, and then find out the leverage is exact and working. I know in a real need, I would have accelerated my actions and then Uke would have been in a break before he had time to go down, but why should I damage his elbows in practice?
Similarly, in Ikkyo, I adjust speed and intensity to Uke, in particular since Korindo variation of this technique inplies direct pressue on the jiont while taking Uke down.

Amir