View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #59
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Aikido or Judo, which is more martial?

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
I'm saying these instructors can make you so powerful that knowing how to fight starts to become irrelevent. Let's say your opponent has a Thai boxing/BJJ skillset, we say that these kind of people are trained to fight. And lets imagine you have trained under one of the instructors I'm talking about.
Your posture is so good that it's impossible to take you down or throw you and you're so powerful that against his thai boxing you can just walk up to him, grab him and throw him around like a rag doll.
I'm not talking about your techniques being powerful, I'm talking about you being so powerful that you don't need technique.
I say extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Life experience and physics both tell me that I will never be unthrowable. The same tells me that if I just walk up to a well trained boxer who is out to knock me out without using good technique to properly defend myself that I'm going to need facial reconstructive surgery.

Example: Forrest Griffin once kicked a reporter in the leg. He broke it.He fights at 205. I walk around at 160. He is a pro athlete who spends all day learning to fight, I am a computer jockey who spends a few hours a week. If you can find me an instructor who can teach me to walk up to forrest, call him a pansy and spit on him, and watch his blows glance off me as I effortlessly walk up to him and taken him down, well then I will give you 85% of my UFC winnings.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein