View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Eugene Leslie

Canada
Re: JuJutsu reminds me why I love and am drawn to aikido

It's great that you've retained that passion.

On this subject...is JuJutsu the same as Jujitsu? I've researched around and I think it is...just different spellings.

From my layman's point of view, without splitting hairs, Aikido enables one to survive an encounter against multiple opponents and survive whereas JuJitsu is a one on one endeavor. Reading the ancient stories of Samurai, I get the impression that JuJitsu was a disarming, law-enforcement system.
I choose Aikido personally but this isn't to say I think the one is better than the other: just different personal choices for studying.
On a side note I think people misunderstand JuJitsu in MMA and Ultimate Fighting by thinking it's the pinnacle form for fighting men and training.
No doubt the MMA fighters are physically "designed" by intense training to be top-knotch fighters with abnormal threshholds with an arsenal of skills; (JuJitsu being an important part); but it's one on one, and rule obeying; (not to mention weaponless).
Their throat, eyes and groin are just as tender as the next person's.
Of course you bet your money on them...I'm just sayin'.

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides