Thread: doubts
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: doubts

One of the things that attracted me to aikido is the idea that one looks for the most peaceful possible solution to an attack. In this world of getting even and get him before he gets you this is really a very loving art. Stop and think about it. You learn how to prevent someone from hurting you while if at all possible not hurting them and if it is necessary to hurt them to control it in order to do only the minimum needed in order to end the conflict. We are not taught to fight for the sheer joy of inflicting injury or knowing we can. We are taught to defend while keeping ourselves and our attacker as safe as possible and even more desirable to neutralize the attack hopefully before it can really occur.

To me this is a valuable thing to be know how to do.

I am still quite new to Aikido (2+months training) but this is the impression I have gotten so far. I've spent a lot of time reading and learning about this before I ever stepped onto a mat.

The idea of controlling people for their own good under such a situation again seems a kindness more than something to consider in a negative light. Not to mention in such cases the control is also for the good of the one who has been attacked.

If you have doubts perhaps you need to take a break or reevaluate what Aikido is to you. You have to make the choice that works best for you.