View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #36
Buck
United_States
Re: Getting people to try Aikido

Quote:
Brian Gillaspie wrote: View Post
Class went well last night. Had 6 adults show up for the class. I also had 2 kids (my own) in the children's class so overall I was satisfied with the first night.

I wore my best looking hakama...unfortunately most people just see a guy wearing a dress

My dojo feels like a room in a YMCA. I would like to have a nice looking dojo but it is what it is. If people can't dedicate themselves to training in a plain room then I have my doubts they could really dedicate themselves to training anywhere....but that's just my opinion.
Maybe in time you will be able to change that. Like anything you have a starting point with a long term goal. Allot of people think you have to be popular over night having hordes of people knocking down your door in the first week. But a dojo runs along the same model as a small business. You build your customer (student) base overtime looking at long term success over short term success.

Like one poster said you do need experienced students. You also need time to work things out, trying new approaches, finding what works and doesn't for you. As I mentioned the importance of "curb appeal," impresses prospective students sending the message that what you do is special, inviting, and sets and matches expectations. That doesn't have to happen right a way. It is a tool that will bring in those interested in Aikido. Or at least gets people interested in Aikido.

I hope my posts contributed to your question and not distracting. I am sure your dojo will be successful with many students.