View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #22
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Aikido and Weight Lifting

I certainly don't want to come off as a weight lifting addict...

I would like to caveat off what some others said, particularly for the budoka who wants to increase some strength without worrying about getting into hardcore lifting techniques:
My theory has always been if you are getting worn out doing unweighted (or light dumbbells) lunges and free squats (or unweighted squats) you have no real business doing full-out squats. Similarly, if someone can't do a dozen pushups, they really don't need to be trying to bench press as much weight as they can three times. I understand pushups and bench/chest press are not exactly the same, but there certainly is a correlation. My point being, many people often try to overwork their ability and end up 'cheating', whether knowingly or not, on their form in order to lift the weight they feel they should. My favorite workout day is when I run to my gym and do a pull-up, pushup, dip, (+one random favorite like plyo-box drills or high-rep light weight clean and press or light weight high rep body builders) workout. I would say that pull-ups, push ups, dips, and core are really important and neglected exercises (leg stuff too; plyo's, hill workouts, etc).

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!