View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Japanese Term(s) for "Breakfall"

Thanks Jun, that was needed.

My group identifies break fall vs. roll via a numbering system;

-Zenpo kaiten ukemi dai ichi (katahiza tsuki) is our forward roll, no slap, from kneeling position.
-Zenpo kaiten ukemi dai ni is our forward roll with no slap from the standing pos.
-Zenpo kaiten ukemi san is our standing forward roll with arm slapping to break momentum
-Zenpo kaiten ukemi dai yon is our standing forward, arm slapping, roll where the straight/post leg does not touch the ground
-Hyakyu zenpo kaiten ukemi is our standing 'jumping' break fall...though we emphasize controlled ukemi, not an actual big, high, jump.
-Tobikoshi ukemi (sotai dosa) is our forward, arm slapping, breakfall over a partner's hip as s/he is bent over.
-Koho kaiten ukemi is our rear roll, no slappy...though quite different than many of the aikikai style's ushiro ukemi
-Koho ukemi ichi is our feet together backfalling movement with no slappy
-Koho ukemi ni is same but with slappy
-koho hikiashi ukemi ichi/ni same idea but with stepping back
-Ukemi uchite renshu ichi/ni laying on floor, head off ground, slaping mat exercise. Dai ni is the same but feet also off ground.

As you can see, this is obviously an internal design used by us for our training purposes. There are always going to be budo specific terms that are different and esoteric in comparison to contemporary Japanese language...these would cause debate and confusion in many native speakers, let alone those who only know "Dojo Japanese." This issue is compounded by translating these ideas to English...which don't always have a directly translatable word. To caveat off Jun, ask a native Japanese speaker what suigetsuzuki means. Heck, many Japanese martial arts practitioners might not know what that means. Furthermore, If I ask anyone on this forum what Ki Osae Do Giri dai ichi or Sasoi Awase Tsuki ni is, I am pretty confident they won't know what it is unless they train at my school, or perhaps with the Yoshokai. Certainly these differences are meant to assist in one's own training and not as a base for Truth in Budo Terminology...for me, the vernacular is secondary to the training.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!