View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
NagaBaba

Re: How essential is timing, and how do you develop it?

Quote:
Peter Boylan wrote: View Post
I finally put together another blog post, and this one looks at timing and how to develop it.
It's at
http://budobum.blogspot.com/2014/08/...s-in-budo.html

How do you train to develop your sense of timing?
I like your articles about different aspects of training. While I agree with many statements, I don't think timing is simple. One of the reasons is that you can't separate it from the concept of space around you and the openings in attacker posture. Without owning space around you, you can't move most effectively.

Owning space take a lot of training, so can't reasonably teach timing very early in the body development, beginner students have always wrong timing because of that. Another aspect is opening (entering in perfect timing if there is no opening, is not very helping…) -- even if you explain clearly with examples in slow motion, their perception is not yet there.

Eyes or touch sense develops slowly….Another point supporting these that timing is not simple; it must be practiced with weapons. You can see huge difference in timing skills between somebody with long history of weapons training (under good teacher of course) and somebody who never touched any weapon. In this case it is even impossible to explain them some basic timing aspects (early timing, late timing, just-in-time timing)

I'm curious, what kind of exercises you do to improve timing?

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo