View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #62
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland
Re: The Ueshiba Legacy, by Mark Murray

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
In an effort to get back on track - I don't think attempting to define words that no one agrees on the definition of really speaks to the legacy of these two men - is there a legacy of the third Doshu? The separation of the Iwama style did not happen under Kisshomaru Doshu. YouTube and social media - does this influence Aikido now, or has the current Doshu influenced Aikido's image through this? While the article separates Aikido under Morihei Ueshiba and Kisshomaru Ueshiba, can it be said that there is a legacy developing under the current Doshu? A direction for the 4th Doshu to take?
I was never a member of any aikido organisation during my time in Japan, but following the books and other media put out by the aikikai and Moriteru Ueshiba, I got a definite impression that it/he was trying to standardise an orthodox "aikikai" style and set of techniques. This also is paralleled in many other large budo organisations such as jodo, iai, etc. There are simplified "standard" forms that can be taught and administered nationally. Conversely, there was less tolerance for variations among affiliated groups. I think this can be explained by the major social and demographic changes occurring in Japan (a dwindling, aging, increasingly conservative populace and an attempt to "shore up" a viable number of students). As for the international dimension, once again, as an outsider, it seems that if an aikido group is large enough, it's possible to affiliate to the aikikai, almost regardless of style/technique. So, while the Japan system is becoming more standardised, the international one is encompassing groups that are for all intents and purposes, different arts.

All IMO.