View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #36
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Ok Demetrio, I have no idea how you would accomplish that without tensing up your arm. Maybe you have a secret I do not.
Metalworking, using a grinder. You have to control a crazy thing that can kill you while keeping movility in your wrist. If an ankward posture has to be held the better. Is not a secret, is only practise.

Quote:
However, I will say that everyone I have ever trained with, which is of course limited to my own personal experience but includes folks from all sorts of Aikido stylistic backgrounds, who crushed my wrists, was tense and was limiting his own freedom of movement in trying to limit mine.
I totally believe you.

Quote:
If we ever get together you can show me how you'd do it without tension
Or I am shown the error of my ways. It will be a win/win situation for sure.

Quote:
My general rule of thumb is that the place at which you feel the power is the place at which they are putting their energy and their attention. When I grab someone I want them to feel like I grabbed their center and I do not want them feeling much at the wrist. It is a waste of energy and has no function
I don't have any problem with your approach, but reading accounts of O Sensei crushing grip by his deshi I suspect there is more than the feeling of center taking in founder's aiki.

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 01-19-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Link