View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 11:41 PM   #1
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Question Multiple Nage Randori?

Does anybody do this?

Seems like it would be interesting. In my experience, it's harder than it sounds. Not everybody has the temperament to just go in and dogpile. People tend to hesitate instead of coordinating their actions, especially if the person in the middle is pretty active. Of course this is what we exploit when practicing multiple uke randori.

I can think of scenarios where you and a properly trained friend would find it beneficial to the cause of peace to have trained in this sort of thing. Better than having to subdue someone without aiki options, I would guess.

I guess you could actually view this as simply training from uke's side of the randori situation.

I remember reading a story posted by someone on the Close Quarter Combat forum at E-Budo.com, regarding training for teams to go into prison cells and subdue and remove extremely recalcitrant prisoners, often to prevent them from hurting themselves or others. He relates that he went into a cell one night with his team to subdue a hysterical prisoner, all of the team in full riot gear with helmets and visors. At one point, he says, clearly visible in the video taken of the situation is himself, attempting to subdue the subject's arm, while he is being headlocked by one of his own team, helmet and all (!); a nice illustration of the effects of stress and adrenalin!

=wl