View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #22
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Kuzushi

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
I just read through a few of the above posts with interest becuase I could not understand any of it. Kuzushi is taking balance. It is what tori aims to do. And once you take balance you aim to keep it that way to immobilise or throw uke. I have spent more than half my life trying to do this and now I have kinda half sussed it. I don't think I'm going to change because of this thread.
Hi there.
This topic of Kuzushi. What you say and how you explain it above is fine and may I say is the generally held and understood view of the matter.

The viewpoint I am coming from, the attitude I use and the way of my Aikido is however different. This is why what I say here may be hard to relate to the subject of kuzushi.

Why? Because when it comes to Kuzushi in my Aikido the aim is Not to take the opponents balance.

The focus is different in my Aikido, so rather than to take the opponents balance it is rather how to keep your own and share that with the opponent.

So in my Aikido we do not take any balance we give balance back to.

So Kuzushi for us is the giving of balance to thus the reverse of what is generally done.

Regards.G.