View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #72
Garth
United_States
Re: The Consequences of Fighting

I like learning about this law and self defense stuff... but it kind of makes me fearful to do ANYTHING to anyone even if they were coming at me with the intent to hurt me

These bugged me because then, could my hesitation because I'm not sure if I'd be prosecuted or not cause me to be "too late" in helping when I could have done so? I've had the fair share of creeps and psychos... I used to know I would be defending myself if it came to it, no questions asked, but then I wasn't so sure after reading some law issues on this

Josephine,
Exactly!! Do not let this cloud your judgement. This is why we train or should I say "re train"
"rewire" our response and dont just give a instinctual "reaction.
The cops have a saying amongst themselves, "I rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".
Now, upon closer examination this could get you into much trouble, putting your head down and bulling your way thru a situation, (women dont usually have this problem BTW) , or tunnel vision. Hopefully our "response" is balanced within our "education" or training. This is why newbies are placed with senior members because there experience is most likely broader, dojo and real world and then there is training.
High stress situations , gunfights, knife, fist is has been shown you will fall to your most basic training.
No training, fight or flight reaction, the more training the more educated the response as your basic vocabulary becomes broader.
Having a history as an aggressor has a way of following you around also, no matter your size gender.
This is why people have criminal records or not, which will also come into play. Very rarely are two people minding there own business bounced into court. There is usually a history .... somewhere, domestically (divorced , seperated, harrassment). 80% I believe is the statistic of victims of violent crime know their attacker in some capacity. Could be as harmless I knew him from church gatherings or full blown stalking or crimes of passion. Awareness plays a big role.
Stay safe.
G

A day will dawn when you will yourself laugh at your effort. That which is on the day of laughter is also now.
Ramana Maharishi