View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: The Validity of an Instructor

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
If he has skill, go learn. If not, don't bother. The paper is all garbage - even if the credentials are sound - it does not mean the teacher will be good.
Dear Rupert,
Pray tell me how a beginner can tell whether a instructor is good or knows his /her stuff?A beginner has little knowhow to tell whether the aikido is good or bad, technically sound or technically flawed. There has to be certain standards. The Fukushidoin /Shidoin/Shihan certification may not be perfect but it a least gives a degree of credibility to the teacher.
If a Doctor set up a practice would you like to think that the guy went to a medical school /passed exams and was accredited by a legitimate group or would you just go to the guy because he uses the word DR. in his surgery/calling card?
I believe an aikido teacher should be able to over and above demonstrate reasonable aikido skills, he /she should be able to list their pedigree /lineage ie the names of main teachers he /sge has studied under. I also believe a teachers grading record should be seen or authenticated by a reputable body.Cheers, Joe.