View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #239
Cephallus
Dojo: judo only at the moment
United_States
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

There is a lot of interesting commentary in this thread. I'm glad I took the time to read through the entire thing.

I have to say, most of the people I've told about my starting Aikido have been nothing but positive about it. Several good friends of mine are active participants in the MMA community in Southern California, and not one of them said anything disparaging about Aikido. One did look at me with a confused look and ask why I chose Aikido, but after I explained my reasons, he was perfectly in-tune with what I was talking about.

I realized some time ago that I have never been afraid of being able to defend myself in a physical altercation - I've always participated in violent, full-contact sports (hockey/rugby/boxing/etc) - what I've always been afraid of is being able to control myself well enough in a physical altercation to not seriously injure or kill another human being. That's not bravado, but the fact is that it's much easier to accidentally/incidentally hurt someone using no martial technique at all than it is to safely disarm a situation without seriously injuring the aggressor.

Whether or not the techniques become effective for me any time in the near future isn't really my main concern...it's about getting to the mental state where I realize, when pressed in a stressful situation, that I have the choice to resolve conflicts without resorting to testosterone-fueled machismo and muscle.

Last edited by Cephallus : 03-07-2008 at 09:35 AM.