View Single Post
Old 03-05-2002, 05:13 AM   #18
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Axiom
Ranks are useful as a system of motivation for people who are not truly interested in what they're doing. Thats why they show up in workplaces, schools, etc. Numerous activities don't even bother with belts and complex ranking systems that you must be tested for(ballet, boxing, wrestling, the list is quite long) in which people are self motivated and get very good at their art.
Hi Alex! I agree with you insofar as Aikido being about learning and discovering rather than obtaining a rank. However I don't believe that ranks are only motivational for those who are week in their faith. In my opinion there is NOTHING wrong with having a desire to test for a new rank. It just shouldn't be the reason why one practices the art. And don't fool yourself into believing that there are no 'milestones' in those activities you mention. In boxing and wresteling practice contains fights and I am very sure that winning is far more inspirering than loosing. There is beyond any doubt a ranking among the members of a boxing club. With ballet I am quite sure that ego's are built along with the muscletone. Getting the good parts in shows - getting accepted as a student of a specific teacher - getting good reviews - getting ones name in neon. Aspirations and desires are an integral part of every humanbeing.

I believe kyu-ranking in aikido is a good way to trace your progress, provided your sensei evaluates your effort instead of just handing out ranks. I go to a grading and I get a personal talk with the three highest ranking senseis in my dojo. They point out what I do good and what I should work on until the next grading. That is a great tool. Kind of like an employe evaluation at work. Helps to change your focus and challenge your view upon practicing.

With regards to dan-ranking then I believe they are great guides as well. One should be aware of the ever increasing level of responsebility that comes with the grade, and one should strive to obtain the qualifications for the next grade - not the grade itself.

Just a point of view from a guy wiht an upcomming grading

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration