View Single Post
Old 03-04-2002, 03:49 PM   #17
Axiom
Dojo: TC Aikido Center
I, for one, do not think that ranks are of any real importance. In aikido, as in all things, I'm simply interested in learning and perfecting what I've learned. I've passed up opportunities to test because I simply am not interested in having a shiny new belt, and a somewhat meaningless rank. Within my dojo, the regulars were all well aware of the abilities of their peers, regardless of what belt rank they wore. The only use for the rankings could be for interdojo seminars, but as previously noted, every dojo has their own standards of ranking. It is nice to be able to tell who is probably your sempai/kohai, but beyond that it creates unnecessary hassle. I've seen a 1st kyu lead a class just as capably as a nidan, and I've had 2nd kyu's who were infinitely better at teaching the techniques than their sandan counterparts, who were only good at DOING them.

Ranks are useful as a system of motivation for people who are not truly interested in what they're doing. Thats why they show up in workplaces, schools, etc. Numerous activities don't even bother with belts and complex ranking systems that you must be tested for(ballet, boxing, wrestling, the list is quite long) in which people are self motivated and get very good at their art.

Just my thoughts,
Alexander Magidow

_________
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-- Gandhi