View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido IS a practical contemporary martial art

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
No, that is a myth. See UFC. Morals are not part of the UFC- past the point of rules and a ref. They are not substancial enough to be considered taught. What they have is sportsmenship, rules, and a ref. Any morality within the fighter is learned from some place else.
Hi Philip,

I'm afraid that I'm at a real loss to see what you're actually responding to. What are you actually saying is a myth?

As I tried to make abundantly clear, I'm not interested in an Aikido vs. UFC discussion. That was simply the context for my post.

Quote:
Myth, that is not the case. Such things are brought in from other sourses and studies such as Zen etc.
No, it's not a myth. I'm explaining what it is that I appreciate about aikido and how it matches what I personally would be looking for in a contemporary martial art. Your list may not be the same as mine, and your experience of aikido may not be the same as mine, but I fail to see how that make this a myth.

Quote:
Most martial arts are out-dated or like the UFC not designed from multi-attacks.
That may well be true - though it begs the question 'outdated for what?' - but I'm not interested in most martial arts. This was simply a personal post about aikido and why I personally value it as a contemporary martial art.