View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #45
Cliff Judge
Japan
Re: Are we really doing O'Senseis Aikido?

Quote:
Lee Crockett wrote: View Post
There are a lot of clubs that move before contact is made, or on the point of contact. This may be practical for a realistic situation, but it does not teach a student correct angles, blending or mechanics of making techniques work. To be honest, it cheats the student.
That IS blending. How can you train blending from a static situation?

From my perspective, static training is of limited usefulness because it factors out a great number of issues that need to be dealt with, such as timing, blending, correct angles, and mechanics of making techniques work.

I would also think you'd be encouraging the use of force on force, and as I have mentioned before, it would seem to be a game for the large, squat guys.

Quote:
This is what Saitos school tries to do. The drawback, it takes a LONG time to learn, and students today want instant gratification.
You and James are being not too subtle with your attack on other styles that do not focus on static training for many years, your implication is that these styles are the result of a moral failing on the part of the students. I would think the fault, if you choose to view it that way, would be more correctly leveled at the shihans.

You two most get fairly tweaked to see all of these internal strength threads on this forum. I mean you've got people with 20, 30 years of experience on this forum talking about how training with muscle power, force against force is a waste of time and they'd never have bothered to train that way from the beginning if they knew what they knew now.

Quote:
We recently had a Tissier 4th Dan come along to train, and he couldnt do a thing on our strongest and heaviest student, while my instructor throws him round like a rag doll
Is it supposed to be surprising that he couldn't force your strongest and heaviest guy? But it IS surprising to see some nice ukemi?

Quote:
This is the difference in the Aikido being promoted. An artistic form for demonstration which isnt really practical, against a realistic, martial form.
I think you are choosing words rather arbitrarily here.