View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: Skin care and hygiene tips I wish I had known before I started training...

Hi,

I never tried showering once a day, let alone three times per day, except in summer, when it is very hot. I just don't think that 80 % of my body, such as arms, back, legs etc. get dirty so often. For face, axles, hands and feet I think the tap is sufficient.

Whenever I shower more often, I don't use soap. Dirt and sweat go away with normal water, too. Soap is to get oil and fat away, and that's not needed so often. Same for hair. Shampooing once a week is fine; to get just the dust out of the hair, brushing or rinsing with water is sufficient. If you shampoo too often, either the hair gets dry and you can get dandruff, or your head skin tries to protect itself against the drying and produces more secretion => your hair gets oilier more quickly => you need to clean it more often => vicious circle.

But I have the habit of scrubbing feet and hands before going to the dojo. And then my bike's chain gets off, I have to walk over a dirty omnisports hall before reaching the tatami, and the result of these efforts is nil again. But I still do that, and I suppose all other aikidoka also do, because I rarely saw people with dirty hands and feet - and I never observed anyone who stank. Neither body smell nor perfumes.

However, I think it's common knowledge that too much soap and shampoo just damages the skin and the hair, notwithstanding the publicity of "everyday shampoos", which is in the interest of the producers, who obviously sell more if people shower once, twice, three times per day...

If I were you, I'd just try to do less...maybe you could get used to that and not feel uncomfortable?

Best regards,

Eva