View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #18
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement?

Dear Mike,

Ledyard Sensei gave you some of the best advice you will ever get as a new cop. After three decades on the street, I have a little insight into law enforcement training as a patrol officer, detective, narc, supervisor, manager and executive. You will receive some training in the academy to help you deal with violent subjects - not nearly enough, but at least some. You probably won't get a great deal of refresher training the rest of your career and your skills will degrade. Aikido is a terrific tool for cops in street confrontations and the various controls and pins are directly applicable to police work. The exposure to aikido from my original defensive tactics instructor in the academy is what brought me to the dojo as an aikido student. My son, a third generation cop, is a devotee of Robert Koga Sensei and teaches BJJ in his own dojo. Koga Sensei teaches really practical applications of aikido principles for law enforcement and his tapes are terrific, but his classes are even better.

Make up your own mind of course, but Ledyard Sensei has drawn you an accurate road map for increasing your chances of going home safely at the end of watch. Best wishes on your new career path.

Michael

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."