View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Peter Boylan
United_States
Re: How To Make Your Aikido Your Own

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
Hi Peter, no biggie. I find your writing interesting and thought provoking. Although I may not all be one of the "yes men" lining up in the comments section of your articles.

Concerning shuhari, I don't tend to see them as fixed and linear stages. But that's for another time and topic we could all explore further.

I've been spending a lot of time dissecting and examining the components of aikido, and various training and teaching methodologies. [ Sort of the Ha stage ] And I do find and see a distinction between the technical craft of aikido, and the artistic - or natural - expression. And, of course, they are both interrelated.

There's info on the webs about craft and art, and here's a link that's not a bad place to start.
http://www.denisdutton.com/rnz_craft.htm

In other endeavors of my life - musical instruments, music production, audio engineering, cooking, writing - I've also found distinct "aspects" concerning learning and exploring the technical craft and the more free form expression of the art. I also find them feeding into, refining, and enriching each other in a continuous symbiotic relationship.

Anyway, keep up the good work. You've given me some things to chew on, and I hope I've done the same for you.

Cheers...
Hi Dan,

First, thank you NOT being a yes-man on this stuff. I write in the hopes of starting interesting conversations and getting new perspectives and ideas to chew. Thank you for giving me these.

Also, thank you for sharing the excellent essay on craft and art. In this area, I'm afraid my study and understanding in recent years is far more driven by non-Western thought and conception than by Western traditions, and I only realized how much this is so in reading that essay. That may well prompt some more writing down the line, but it's entirely too fuzzy to try to go into now.

I'm glad you enjoy my essays and find something worth considering in them. Please keep calling me out when you find something questionable in them.

With Humble Respect,
Peter Boylan

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com