View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #129
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Let me clarify a bit since I now understand where the confusion exists. So, David Alexander stated, "In AIKIDO this is AWASE, which can also be called the principle of AIKI." Notice he used "the", not "a". In fact, the title of his thread also uses "the" not "a".
A definite article indicates that its noun is a particular one (or ones) being identified. It may be something that the speaker has already mentioned, or it may be something uniquely specified. The definite article in English, for both singular and plural nouns, is "the".
Quote:
Now, I took that as being awase is also aiki. As in, awase aka the principle of aiki.
You should look up the definition of "principle". You are failing both the grammar and vocabulary sections at this point. A principle of something is not "equal to" that thing, whether it is singular or plural.
Quote:
However, either way you look at it, it still isn't correct. The definition of awase given by David Alexander is not equivalent to Ueshiba's aiki. As I said in this thread, Ueshiba stopped Tenryu using the secret of aiki, not awase.
To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition (awase = principle of Aiki) by replacing it with a superficially similar yet not equivalent proposition (e.g.: the "straw man" that awase is EQUIVALENT to Ueshiba's aiki"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.
Quote:
Even if you try to look at awase as one of the principles that make up aiki, it still isn't correct. All through Ueshiba's discourses, there are mentions of what made up aiki and awase was not one of them. Unless you can point to the research where Ueshiba talked about aiki being comprised of awase? I haven't seen it.
"Comprised of" is leaning back towards your "equals" strawman. Awase is a broad term. You do not know how it applies to the training that Alexander Sensei did or Osensei's discourses.
Let's try to find out though...
Let's awase...
Carl