View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #215
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
I assure you (Chris) that by you in several of the preceding posts I didn't mean you personally but as a representative of certain attitude.

The OP started with "As far as I know, this is an unsupported idea. There idea that Ueshiba's aikido came from "other martial arts" is rather, well, wrong." followed by a list of specific items Mark claimed supported his argument. The hanmi discussion came a bit latter but I think, still in that spirit. I am pretty sure I haven't brought up specific angles, if I am wrong please point out that post. You know as well as I, what "hanmi" means and that it implies a whole body posture and not just the feet placement. I am still puzzled by you choosing to ignore it as being "external" since in literally all the photos in the "Budo" book the Founder is in hanmi and according to Saito Morihiro's commentary in the same book (and common sense) hanmi=roppo=six direction kamae (p34 in the special edition). Its IPSNEH (In Plain Sight Not Even Hidden).

As to weather or not to mimic the details of Ueshiba's angles - I think you (all of us) should.
I'm not ignoring it at all - but I think that what you and I are seeing in the kamae are quite different. Anyway, that has been said before, we 're really just going around in circles.

Best,

Chris